Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Antique Secretary Desk

I saw this desk at my local Salvation Army.  It didn't have a price, so I went and talked to the manager.  She gave me a pretty good deal, so off to my garage it went.  I actually had no intentions of painting it.  It sat in my garage for six months without selling, so I decided to give it a makeover.

Before

After

For my birthday, my friends bought me some milk paint from Miss Mustard Seed.  I had been too chicken to use it, but decided to put on my big girl panties and try it.   I know that they say that you have to just go with the flow with milk paint, but it was such a disaster.  On one side of my desk, the paint just fell off of it.  I have no idea why!  I sanded before, but for some reason it just wouldn't stick.  I ended up sanding the whole thing and starting over.  I got out my trusty Sherwin Williams paint in my favorite color, Green Bay.  It is so pretty!



Something strange happened!  My paint chipped.  It must have been some residue leftover from the milk paint, but I LOVED the result!


To Finish it, I waxed in ASCP's clear and dark wax.





Here is a tip from me.  Don't drag your beautiful antique dresser on your driveway.  It will result in breaking a beautiful claw foot leg, and then you will have to spend a couple of extra hours fixing what was once a perfect leg!  Not saying I did that or anything...

XOXO
Wendy

2 comments:

  1. It looks great, Wendy. I enjoyed reading about your journey to the final product. We learn the most during the journey. It's a beautiful color. I saw your link at Miss Mustard Seed's party. Ann Marie at Iris Abbey www.irisabbey.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty green! I love milk paint, but I have had that same thing happen before too and it is not fun!

    ReplyDelete